Privacy Notice: Airspace & Future Operations Consultation
Updated: 13th February 2019
This privacy statement tells you what to expect when you provide your personal information to Heathrow Airport Ltd (Heathrow) in response to the Airspace and Future Operations Consultation.
Heathrow is committed to protecting your personal information when you use Heathrow services. Whenever you provide personal information we are legally obliged to use it in line with all applicable laws concerning the protection of personal data, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018.
What information will we collect about you?
When you provide your views to Heathrow in respect of the Airspace and Future Operations Consultation, we will collect the following information about you:
3. Email address;
4. Age range; and
5. Any additional items of information that you choose to provide in the course of submitting your views (please see “Who will have access to my information?” below).
We will also collect certain information automatically when you visit our website. This will include your IP Address and Browser ID.
Heathrow may also collect unique online identifiers such as IP addresses, which are numbers that uniquely identify a specific computer or other network device on the internet. For more information, see our section on ‘cookies’.
How will Heathrow use the information it collects about me?
Heathrow will use your personal data for several purposes, including the following:
- To record accurately and analyse any questions you raise during consultation or feedback you have provided in response to a Heathrow consultation;
- To report on our consultation, setting out what issues have been raised and how we have responded to that feedback (individuals will not be identified in any such reports);
- To ensure the safety of our staff.
Heathrow will use the information, along with the responses provided to help enable us to develop our designs further.
Who will have access to my information?
We may be required to make copies of responses to the consultation available to the Secretary of State, the Planning Inspectorate and/or the Civil Aviation Authority. We will request that personal information is not placed on the public record, however please note that these third parties may use any personal information that is disclosed to them in accordance with their own privacy policies, over which we have no control. We recommend that you do not include any information in your response to the consultation that you would not want to be viewed by these third parties, or to be placed on the public record.
Your information will be handled and used by Heathrow’s service providers who assist in recording, analysing and reporting on feedback received, including:
- The agency managing this consultation website for us;
- The company which analyses the consultation responses and passes the results and data to Heathrow;
- The company which analyses the equalities responses and passes the results and data to Heathrow;
- Third party service providers facilitating postcode and address look ups, mapping and email facilities (email records may be stored on US-based servers but will be protected according to the EU-US Privacy Shield framework).
We will keep your information within Heathrow and our trusted third parties except where disclosure is required by law, for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies. Your information is processed only in the UK and is not moved or transferred overseas.
Optional equalities survey
To demonstrate that Heathrow is engaging with and seeking the views of, the widest possible range of local residents and communities, we are inviting you to provide the information set out below, but only if you are over the age of 18 and you wish to do so. You are under no obligation to provide it and it will not affect the consideration of your consultation responses:
- Identity assigned at birth;
- Sexual Orientation;
- Whether you consider you have a disability;
- Details of religion or belief;
- Whether you are or have recently been, pregnant;
- Marital or Civil Partnership status.
At the point you voluntarily submit responses, the information will be collected separately from your personal details and will be completely anonymised and aggregated for statistical purposes only. Your responses to the equalities survey will NOT be linked to your IP or Browser ID nor will we attempt to identify the individuals behind the responses.
What is the legal basis for processing personal information?
The lawful basis for collecting your personal data is that we have obtained your consent to do so. Your consent is given when you check the ‘opt-in’ field and provide your name, contact details and your response in respect of the consultation via the Heathrow Consultation website.
We are further using your personal information as necessary in order to fulfil our statutory obligations under planning law. We may use your personal data in exceptional circumstances where necessary for our legitimate interests to [contact you by the email provided to invite you to complete the questionnaire, if you have only part completed it] or for ensuring the safety of our staff.
How long will Heathrow keep my information?
Your information will be retained and held in a secure environment until the outcome of the Development Consent process is complete and, if granted consent, the proposed development is operational. Access to personal data will be restricted only to those who have a legitimate interest is seeing it. All personal data will be deleted by Heathrow once we no longer need to retain it. Specifically, for the IP Address and Browser ID logged with the consultation responses, this data shall be deleted upon completion of the review of the corresponding consultation responses, provided that there are no staff safety concerns raised by the responses.
What rights do I have over my personal data?
Under the GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018, you have the right to:
- Obtain a copy of the personal data we hold about you by making a subject access request;
- Ask us to correct any incorrect information we hold about you;
- Ask us to delete any of your personal information which we no longer have a legitimate reason for keeping;
- Restrict the processing of your information if we are using it for a purpose other than for which it was originally collected;
- Object to the processing of your information where this is justified;
- Withdraw consent for the processing of your information where this is justified and we have no other legitimate grounds for processing it.
To exercise your rights in respect of your data, please contact the Heathrow Data Protection Officer at the following address:
Data Protection Officer,
Heathrow Airport Ltd,
The Compass Centre,
Alternatively, you can email your request to: firstname.lastname@example.org
What if I find your response unsatisfactory?
Should you find our response unsatisfactory, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the UK’s supervisory authority for information rights – the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). You can find more information on the ICO website:
Changes to this privacy notice
We will keep this privacy notice under regular review. At the start of this privacy notice we will tell you when it was last updated.